Winnipeg Railway Museum
Where the Past meets the Present

THIS PAGE IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Omnis voluptas

The Countess of Dufferin was built in Philadelphia, PA by M. Baird & Co (Baldwin Factory) and was delivered to Breckenridge Minnesota in February 1872 as Northern Pacific 21. She worked in Minnesota and the Dakota Territories until 1877, when she was shipped down the Red River from Fisher Landing  to St. Boniface (Winnipeg) Manitoba arriving to a large reception on October 7, 1877. She became the first locomotive on the Canadian Prairies. Her first job was Government Contract #5 (Construction of the Pembina branch which linked Winnipeg with St. Paul Minnesota. In 1833 she was renumbered CPR #151 and continued to construct the main CPR line between the Lakehead and Golden BC. where she was sold to the Columbia River Lumber Company where her boiler served to run the sawmill. In 1907 CPR realized she still existed and they wanted her back. Unfortuantly for CPR the Columbia River Lumber Co. was own by Canadian Northern Railway and they were not prepared to return it to CPR. A deal was arranged with the City of Winnipeg and she was returned to the city in 1909 and put on display in several locations around the city. In October 1972 with the help of CP Rail, CN Rail and Via Rail the Countess of Dufferin, was placed on permanent display in the Winnipeg Railway Museum.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Duis mollis, orci sed dapibus posuere, mi dolor consectetur ante, sed elementum tortor ligula sit amet nisl.

112_1201.JPG

Double-click to edit EQUIPMENT, or drag to move.

Countess_4x6.jpgIMG_5515.JPG100_0176.JPG100_0180.JPG